California Kids Investment and Development Savings Program (CalKIDS)

Aid for qualified higher education expenses


Families of low-income public school students can now access college savings accounts created in their children’s names. CalKIDS, funded by the State of California, is providing eligible students with these funds to promote a college going culture.

The program, administered by the ScholarShare Investment Board, will automatically provide newborns and eligible low-income public school children in California an initial seed deposit, plus other possible financial incentives so that they can start saving money for college.

The CalKIDS program invests $1.9 billion into accounts for low-income school-age children in grades 1-12 and for newborn children born on or after July 1, 2022.


Nearly 300,000 recent graduates of California public high schools may be eligible to receive up to $1500 for use toward qualified higher education expenses.* CalKids is providing eligible students with these funds to promote a college going culture.

CalKIDS awards eligible students up to $1,500 for use toward expenses like tuition, books, computer equipment, supplies, and more.

Eligible student participants may receive awards to use for higher education, including:

- $500 automatic deposit in a CalKIDS account for eligible low-income public school students (As determined by the LCFF);

- $500 additional deposit in a CalKIDS account for eligible; students identified as foster youth;

- $500 additional deposit in a CalKIDS account for eligible students identified as homeless.

Additionally, all babies born in California on or after July 1, 2022, will receive up to $100 in a college savings account. Additionally, eligible low-income public school students may qualify to receive up to $1,500 in college savings for their future.*

* Final seed deposits and financial incentives are subject to change and approval by the ScholarShare Investment Board.

Request a Withdrawal


If you have an existing CalKIDS account, you can request a withdrawal of funds from your account. Log in to learn more about requesting a withdrawal.

For More Information

You can learn more about this program on the CalKIDS website, including:

- Get Started Guide

- Register to Create an Account

- Get Help & Resources

More financial aid programs are available.



Federal Pell Grants go to undergraduate students without college degrees who come from low-income families.

Learn More



Cal Grants get awarded to California resident undergraduates based on financial need, academic performance and other factors.

Learn More



Low-income students and students receiving cash assistance may automatically apply for a California College Promise Grant (CCPG).

Learn More



Foster youth students who were in care on or after their 16th birthday can apply for a Chafee Grant up until they turn 26.

Learn More


Part-Time Employment

Federal work-study students earn money to pay for college by working a part-time job on-campus or out in the community.

Learn More



The California Community Colleges Scholarship Endowment (CCCSE) offers over 3,000 student scholarships per year.

Learn More

Got questions?
We’ve got answers.

All Paths FAQs